|Home PageFrench WineDomaine Bernard Defaix Chablis 1er Cru Cote de Lechet 2018||
Domaine Bernard Defaix Chablis 1er Cru Cote de Lechet 2018 £30.95
Domaine Bernard Defaix Chablis 1er Cru Cote de Lechet 2018
Situated a little north of the eponymous village of Chablis the brothers have some of the best-situated vineyards in the whole of the region and their efforts to coax the best from the soil is incredible. This translates directly into the wines which are powerful, textural and capable of considerable development. Certified organic and with bio-dynamic influences, the gentle caring approach of the Defaix boys make their wines flagship examples of why Chablis is so special.
For many years the Domaine had been moving towards a sustainable and more ecologically friendly way of farming. Organic farming is the logical result of all this work and some biodynamic practises are now also being introduced. The soils are from the Upper Jurassic period (Kimmeridgian only for all their plots). The plots are located on hillsides facing South-East. Yields are kept to 48hl/ha.
Grapes are harvested at perfect ripeness and gently pressed. Fermentation and ageing in oak barrels for 20% of the wine, and in stainless steel tanks for the other 80%. Alcoholic and malolactic fermentation with natural yeasts. The wine stays on its fine lees for several months then blended before fining and bottling.
The remarkable stony and sunny soils of the vineyards are captured in this powerful and complex wine. It flourishes with age and expresses mineral aromas reminiscent of gunflint. The wine is full and flavoursome but with a firm backbone of acidity. The Côte de Lechet is one of the Premiers Crus of the Chablisian vineyard with the most exceptional ageing potential. A beautiful wine which will enhance any dish, try it with fish dishes even in rich sauces, poultry, risotto…
Seen a lower price elsewhere? KWM Wine will do our best to match any price request, simply click below