Onannon Gippsland Pinot Noir 2015  £26.95


Enlarge Image
StockOptionQuantityPriceRRPSaving
Not In Stock
Request Stock Alert
750ml Red Wine1
£26.95
 
  • Description
  • Reviews
  • Price Match Request
  • Q&A
Onannon Logo

ONANNON GIPPSLAND PINOT NOIR

Onannon is the venture of Sam Middleton, Kaspar Hermann and Will Byron, who donated the last two or three letters of their surnames to come up with Onannon. “Our aim is quite simply to make good wine.” A noble and modest mission statement from this Pinot Noir-focussed producer that also dabbles in single site Gippsland Chardonnay, Mornington Peninsula Pinot Gris and Yarra Valley Rosé. Onannon is the venture of three friends who started small and are still small, but now they make 1,000 cases a year rather than the 80 they produced in 2008. They make wine with a ‘garage’ philosophy, backed up by quality fruit and shared winemaking experience. The wine is made in a small purpose built winery on the Mornington Peninsula, and the approach is as hands-on now as it was on day one.

A blend of two vineyards; 70% of the fruit comes from the close planted Bellvale vineyard near Leongatha in South Gippsland planted in 1998. Here we take clones 114 and 115 from these red volcanic soils. The remaining 30% is from the Lightfoot vineyard established in 1998, this old site is planted to the MV6 clone in the East Gippsland Lakes District. The soils are Terra Rossa over limestone. We ferment the two vineyard parcels seperately yet apply the same vinification methods and blend the two just prior to bottling. The fruit is all hand picked then fully de-stemmed leaving whole berries intact. The fruit begins its own fermentation with wild yeasts and is plunged twice daily. After fermentation the wine is racked to 30% new French oak where it undergoes natural malolactic fermentation on lees. The wine spends 10 months in barrel it is then racked twice before bottling.

Pretty perfumed fruit, bright with sweetly juicy sour cherry fruit and naturally vibrant acidity, not a heavyweight but perfectly balanced Pinot Noir with real personality and character. Sourced from a single vineyard, this is unfined and unfiltered and already a cult wine in Australia.


Halliday Rating 95/100

Drink By 2025

Source Wine Companion

"From two vineyards, 6 days cold soak, open-fermented, matured in French oak. The light, but bright, colour gives no hint of the intensity and length of the savoury/foresty base to the red fruits of the long, finely structured palate. A wine of considerable finesse."

 

Our Best Selling Onannon Australian Wine
Loading ...
Our Best Selling Australian Wine
Loading ...
Also Bought
Picnic Pinot Noir 2018 by Two PaddocksGran Reserva 2011 by Conde ValdemarThe Barossan Shiraz 2017 by Peter Lehmann
Two Paddocks Picnic Pinot Noir 2018
Now£21.95
RRP £23.95
Save 8%
Conde Valdemar Gran Reserva 2011
Now£19.95
Peter Lehmann The Barossan Shiraz 2017
Now£16.95
RRP £17.95
Save 6%
 
Roero Arneis 2018 by BatasioloMornington Penninsula Pinot Noir 2015 by OnannonDao Alfrocheiro 2015 by Quinta Dos Carvalhais
Batasiolo Roero Arneis 2018
Now£17.95
RRP £19.95
Save 10%
Onannon Mornington Penninsula Pinot Noir 2015
Now£26.95
Quinta Dos Carvalhais Dao Alfrocheiro 2015
Now£20.95
RRP £23.95
Save 13%
 
Mentor Barossa Cabernet 2013 Limited Release by Peter LehmannArdiles Priorat 2016 by Merum Priorati1 Bottle Box  by Eco Protection
Peter Lehmann Mentor Barossa Cabernet 2013 Limited Release
Now£24.95
Merum Priorati Ardiles Priorat 2016
Now£19.95
RRP £20.95
Save 5%
Eco Protection 1 Bottle Box
Now£2.00