|Home PageUSA WinePine Ridge Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2020||
Pine Ridge Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2020 £67.84
Pine Ridge Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
The 80 hectare Pine Ridge estate was founded in 1978 when Gary Andrus planted the property’s original vineyard in Stags Leap on a terraced hillside flanked by a ridge of pine trees. They now have vineyards across five sub-zones in Napa: four in the Stags Leap District; three in Rutherford; three in Carneros and one each in Howell Mountain and Oakville. This diversity gives winemaker Michael Beaulac many different blending options for his stunning Napa Cabernet. The vineyards are sustainably managed in order to squeeze as much character and sense of place out of the grapes as possible.
Grapes for the Napa Valley Cabernet, which includes a small proportion of Petit Verdot, Tannat, Merlot and Cabernet Franc in the blend, are sourced from several premier sites throughout the Napa Valley. Michael Beaulac feels the closely spaced vines and attentive farming of the vineyard blocks contribute to the bright, complex layers of flavour that characterise this wine. Aged in American oak barrels (one third new) for 18 months prior to bottling, this wine boasts a myriad of flavours from red and black berry fruit, cinnamon and sweet spice to hints of espresso coffee and leather on the finish.
The fruit for this vintage was chosen from Pine Ridge's premier estate vineyard sites throughout the Napa Valley, mainly the Stags Leap District, Oakville and Rutherford AVAs. Closely spaced vines and attentive farming of the vineyard blocks that produced the crop contributed to the bright, complex layers of flavour that characterise this wine.
The grapes were hand-picked at night, carefully sorted in the vineyard, then brought to the cellar and de-stemmed. Following a cold soak, a high-temperature fermentation occurred to ensure maximum flavour and colour extraction from the grapes. The wine was then racked to 30% new American oak barrels and aged for 18 months prior to bottling. The remaining 70% of the wine was aged in neutral French Oak to maintain the freshness and elegance of the vintage.
With inviting aromas of ripe blueberry, spiced plum, cinnamon, and vanilla, this deep ruby wine captures the senses. The palate opens with blueberry and ripe plum fruits that intermingle with hints of cinnamon. The complex array of flavours lasts through the lingering finish, framed by velvety tannins, hints of coconut and roasted espresso bean.